What services should a modern convenience store offer? The answers are as diverse as stores themselves – and the communities they serve.
Traditional staples such as bill payments and top-ups remain key, but services such as home delivery – once considered solely for city centres – are now a must-have options for stores.
The return of community events has been a triumph for retailers since lockdown was lifted, with stores once again uniting their communities face to face.
Is now the right time to create a long-term plan of how you are going to engage your community and promote the work you do? Identifying their changing needs, struggles and desires, and matching that with what your store can provide will remain a winning formula next year and beyond.
Secrets of success
The IAA selects a Category Star each year that is showing the best thinking, processes and results. Find out what made those that were previously recognised by the IAA stand out to the judges, and what you can apply in your own store by taking a look at the previous Category Stars.
- 2021-22 – Woosnam & Davies News, Llanidloes
- 2020-21 – H & Jodie’s Nisa, Walsall
- 2019 – Nisa Local High Heath, Walsall
Top ideas to improve
Each year the IAA visits and mentors’ retailers that have previously taken part in the programme to help them make simple but impactful changes to improve their profits. Find out what they learned, the results they’ve seen, and what you can replicate in your store!
- 2021-22 – Millerfield Store, Kennoway
- 2020-21 – Central Stores Winterslow, Salisbury
- 2019 – Morley Convenience Store, Leeds
Take part in the IAA
Take part in the IAA today by completing our online checklist and you can:
- See how your store compares to others and find ways to improve
- Be in with a chance of making the Top 100 and being recognised for your efforts
- Gain access to free marketing tools to help attract more customers to your store
- Invitation to the IAA Learning & Development Festival – to help you take your store to the next level
- Be in with a chance of being selected to be mentored by the IAA in 2023
Supported by the industry to help you
The IAA is supported and funded by industry brands who recognise that retailers want access to free, unbiased support to help them increase profits and improve their stores without big investment.