Every year, what it means to be a responsible retailer changes, which means you must keep up to date with legislation and changes in what your shoppers expect of you.
The biggest challenge retailers face is preventing underage sales, and with many retailers reporting new faces in their stores in the past 18 months, taking every precaution is the only way to protect your business.
But there are also new challenges, too. Natasha’s Law represents a worthy but huge challenge for retailers to ensure they are presenting all allergens in food clearly and hopefully avoiding another tragic case. What remains unchanged, however, is the need to work with your community. The most responsible retailers build effective local partnerships to win trust and, ultimately, sales.
Secrets of success
The IAA selects a Category Star each year that is showing the best thinking, processes and results. Find out what made those that were previously recognised by the IAA stand out to the judges, and what you can apply in your own store by taking a look at the previous Category Stars.
- 2021-22 – Budgens of Hinchingbrooke, Cambridgeshire
- 2020-21 – Wharfedale Premier, Hull
- 2019 – Hillingdon Spar Convenience Store, Burnley
Top ideas to improve
Each year the IAA visits and mentors’ retailers that have previously taken part in the programme to help them make simple but impactful changes to improve their profits. Find out what they learned, the results they’ve seen, and what you can replicate in your store!
- 2021-22 – News Food & Wine, Windsor
- 2020-21 – Trinity Food & Wine, Laindon
- 2019 – Shop on the Green, Chartham
Take part in the IAA
Take part in the IAA today by completing our online checklist and you can:
- See how your store compares to others and find ways to improve
- Be in with a chance of making the Top 100 and being recognised for your efforts
- Gain access to free marketing tools to help attract more customers to your store
- Invitation to the IAA Learning & Development Festival – to help you take your store to the next level
- Be in with a chance of being selected to be mentored by the IAA in 2023
Supported by the industry to help you
The IAA is supported and funded by industry brands who recognise that retailers want access to free, unbiased support to help them increase profits and improve their stores without big investment.