When marketing to customers, start with the basics and build outwards. Does your shop look presentable and appealing to passers-by? Do you have signage promoting your USPs and a glimpse into your store? Once you’ve sorted these fundamentals, it’s about looking beyond the immediate customer on the street.
Put together a marketing budget. Use social media and leaflets, depending on your location’s demographic. With the former, measure engagement to see which types of posts perform the best. Consider a loyalty scheme to encourage repeat visits.
Clean up your shop’s online presence, making sure your opening hours and up-to-date shop photos are visible upon a Google search. Track your store’s rating on Google and respond to feedback, positive and negative.
Secrets of success
The IAA selects a Category Star each year that is showing the best thinking, processes and results. Find out what made those that were previously recognised by the IAA stand out to the judges, and what you can apply in your own store by taking a look at the previous Category Stars.
- IAA 2021-22 Category Star – H & Jodie’s Nisa, Walsall
- IAA 2020-21 Category Star – H & Jodie’s Nisa, Walsall
- IAA 2019 Category Star – Nisa Local Halesowen, Dudley
Top ideas to improve
Each year the IAA visits and mentors retailers that have previously taken part in the programme to help them make simple but impactful changes to improve their profits. Find out what they learned, the results they’ve seen, and what you can replicate in your store!
- 2022-23 – Premier Baddesley Stores, Warwickshire
- 2021-22 – Roslin Convenience Store & Post Office (Premier), Edinburgh
- 2020-21 – Sturry Road Premier & Post Office, Canterbury
- 2019 – Ash’s Shop (Nisa Local), Cambridgeshire
Take part in the IAA
Take part in the IAA today by completing our online checklist and you can:
- See how your store compares to others and find ways to improve
- Be in with a chance of making the Top 100 and being recognised for your efforts
- Gain access to free marketing tools to help attract more customers to your store
- Invitation to the IAA Learning & Development Festival – to help you take your store to the next level
- Be in with a chance of being selected to be mentored by the IAA in 2023
Supported by the industry to help you
The IAA is supported and funded by industry brands who recognise that retailers want access to free, unbiased support to help them increase profits and improve their stores without big investment.
This article doesn't have any comments yet, be the first!