A happy and thriving workforce results in a positive work environment, making it a better place for customers to shop. Consider how you look after your team and think: are you investing in their development?
Standards can slip if staff don’t know what’s expected. Make sure job descriptions are regularly updated so new team members know what to expect. Prepare a list of tasks with staff that must be completed. Delegate different responsibilities to staff so everyone has a purpose.
Your staff are the face of your business, so make sure they know your values and that they stick to them. Devise an action plan and rewards system for staff to use to help them progress to supervisor and manager roles, and stay motivated. Hold regular meetings to recognise staff and reward them to get the best out of them.
Secrets of success
The IAA selects a Category Star each year that is showing the best thinking, processes and results. Find out what made those that were previously recognised by the IAA stand out to the judges, and what you can apply in your own store by taking a look at the previous Category Stars.
- 2021-22 – Family Shopper Little Hulton, Manchester
- 2020-21 – Spar Pennings Road, Tidworth
- 2019 – London Road Bakery, Boston
Top ideas to improve
Each year the IAA visits and mentors’ retailers that have previously taken part in the programme to help them make simple but impactful changes to improve their profits. Find out what they learned, the results they’ve seen, and what you can replicate in your store!
- 2022-23 – Edgware Road Post Office, London
- 2021-22 – Wych Lane Premier, Gosport
- 2020-21 – Chelsea Food Fayre (Londis), London
- 2019 – Nisa Local Craven Road, London
Take part in the IAA
Take part in the IAA today by completing our online checklist and you can:
- See how your store compares to others and find ways to improve
- Be in with a chance of making the Top 100 and being recognised for your efforts
- Gain access to free marketing tools to help attract more customers to your store
- Invitation to the IAA Learning & Development Festival – to help you take your store to the next level
- Be in with a chance of being selected to be mentored by the IAA in 2023
Supported by the industry to help you
The IAA is supported and funded by industry brands who recognise that retailers want access to free, unbiased support to help them increase profits and improve their stores without big investment.