Effective ranging means having a strong, core range of food and drink items in store balanced with the latest products on the market.
This will demonstrate to your customers that they can rely on your store for their everyday essentials, but also find new items they might have seen advertised on TV.
To achieve a strong range of products, it pays to analyse your EPoS data and be strict on deciding when to delist something – this will make room for another line that could potentially be a bigger success.
Understanding who your customers are is also an important component when it comes to ranging – are your customers likely to want to try new soft drinks lines, or are they focused on core items – such as bread and milk – that are on promotion?
Secrets of success
The IAA selects a Category Star each year that is showing the best thinking, processes and results. Find out what made those that were previously recognised by the IAA stand out to the judges, and what you can apply in your own store by taking a look at the previous Category Stars.
- 2021-22 – Londis Ferme Park Road, London
- 2020-21 – Ash’s Shop Fenstanton, Huntingdon
- 2019 – Londis Ferme Park Road, London
Top ideas to improve
Each year the IAA visits and mentors’ retailers that have previously taken part in the programme to help them make simple but impactful changes to improve their profits. Find out what they learned, the results they’ve seen, and what you can replicate in your store!
- 2022-23 – Premier R&S Convenience
- 2021-22 – Limehurst Mini Market & Off License
- 2020-21 – Cellar 57, Manchester
- 2019 – Hayers Meadvale
Take part in the IAA
Take part in the IAA today by completing our online checklist and you can:
- See how your store compares to others and find ways to improve
- Be in with a chance of making the Top 100 and being recognised for your efforts
- Gain access to free marketing tools to help attract more customers to your store
- Invitation to the IAA Learning & Development Festival – to help you take your store to the next level
- Be in with a chance of being selected to be mentored by the IAA in 2023
Supported by the industry to help you
The IAA is supported and funded by industry brands who recognise that retailers want access to free, unbiased support to help them increase profits and improve their stores without big investment.