The first main annual spike for puzzle magazines is almost upon us and there’s no better time for retailers to check their range.
Independents should make sure they are ready for the sales surge by ensuring they are stocking the following titles:
- Puzzler Collection [pull_quote_right]During these periods retailers should make sure that puzzle titles are given a prominent display and stock a range of titles from each puzzle sub-category – mixed content, crosswords, wordsearch, arrowwords, sudoku – to ensure customers can stock up on their favourites before going away on holiday.[/pull_quote_right]
- Take a Break Take a Crossword
- Take a Break Take a Puzzle
- Puzzler Q Wordsearch
- Take a Break Puzzle Selection
- Take a Break Seasonal Puzzle Collection
- Take a Break Arrowwords
- Puzzler Q Puzzle Compendium
- Puzzler Sudoku Puzzle Collection
- Puzzler Q Kriss Kross
- Take a Break Wordsearch
- Puzzler Wordsearch
- Puzzler Q Pocket Crosswords
- Family Wordsearch Jumbo
- Puzzler Sudoku
- Puzzler Q Pocket Wordsearch
- Take a Break Codebreakers
- Take a Break Crossword Collection
- Take a Break Mini Crossword Collection
Industry viewpoint – Jim Hopkins, newstrade marketing manager,
How important are the seasonal opportunities and what should retailers be doing to get ready for them?
Given that puzzle solving is a leisure activity sales spike when people take their holidays. This really starts around the Easter holidays when people are taking short breaks or are travelling to visit friends and family, we see similar increases in demand around the early May and end of May. During the summer, puzzle titles, especially in the mixed and wordsearch categories, can enjoy increases of 20-30% above the yearly average. Greater casual or multiple purchase also occurs in the lead up to Christmas.
What should retailers do to make sure they are geared up for the opportunity?
During these periods retailers should make sure that puzzle titles are given a prominent display and stock a range of titles from each puzzle sub-category – mixed content, crosswords, wordsearch, arrowwords, sudoku – to ensure customers can stock up on their favourites before going away on holiday.
How will you be supporting independents during 2014?
Independent newsagents are massively important to us, accounting for more than 25% of our total RSV in 2013. H Bauer has a long tradition of supporting independents since launching in the UK – primarily in terms of copy , but also with point of sale material, display units and more recently exclusives for independents. Last year we exclusively covermounted the peak-selling summer issues of three of our Mini Puzzles titles with pens through independents only. Sales responded very well to this activity so we are about to embark on a further covermounts. From the issues on sale 10 April 2014 we will once again be covermounting all copies that will be sent into independents and will look to continue this exclusive activity as we come into summer.