- Location: Penge, south-east London
- Store size: 1,000 sq ft, small impulse/convenience
- Been in business: 6 years
- Customers: mixture, mainly elderly
Pratik Sampat’s south London store is 100 years old. He has owned it for six years and, after taking a break, returned to run it a year and half ago. The store has had a refit and majors on cards and stationery, not least because the opening of a 99p Store nearby has had a serious effect on soft drinks and confectionery sales. Pratik believes in creating a point of difference rather than competing head on and has invested in a huge range of cards and gifts as well as offering passport photos and pricemarked products.
- Confectionery displayed on main fixture, under till, midway down shop.
- All new lines stocked at launch, and customer requests used to increase range.
- Pratik is keen to increase sales and improve merchandising.
- Soft drinks displayed in open chiller by window at front of store.
- Best sellers include Coke and Diet Coke and bottled formats.
- Range recently reduced to cut number of products and focus on best sellers.
Crisps & Snacks
- Crisps and snacks displayed on one fixture to side of till.
- Stock received from direct-to-store vans.
- Range exclusively from Walkers, with access to point-of-sale material and merchandising advice.
- Introduce the right range of confectionery to the main confectionery fixture.
- Multiface the best sellers.
- Group products by category and allocate space according to sales.
- Increase gifting range of chocolate to tie into other gifting categories in the store.
GSK: Soft Drinks
- Group like products together and give more facings to top selling products.
- Tighten up vertical blocking.
- Implement a needstates flow to make it easy to find products.
- Reduce facings on slow selling lines.
PepsiCo: Crisps & Snacks
- Extend the range of standard crisp flavours to provide greater choice.
- Add a clipstrip of “better for you” ranges such as Walkers Baked, Sunbites and Lights to appeal to female customers.
- Add new flavours to create added interest among regular customers.
- Introduce Walkers’ two for 70p promotional packs.
- 23% better performance than total market in one month after changes.
- Improved understanding of the need to keep to a core range and improve merchandising.
- Advice made section easier to run, including understanding what to stock and what to delist.
- Merchandising led to increased sales and visibility for several leading products.
- 15% growth above the market.
- Increased sales of more profitable formats, such as bottles, due to new merchandising.
- Adherence to a core range of well merchandised products that increased profitability and made section easier to run.
- Better understanding of which products to stock and those to delist.
Crisps & Snacks
- Demonstrated the importance of stocking secondary flavours to offer customers greater choice.
- Better understanding of effective category management.
- Encouraged analysis of sales records to identify a range and display tailored to specific customer base.
- Highlighted the importance of promotions and the need to use these further in future.