Outdated Browser Detected
Our website has detected you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from accessing certain features. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience.
Use the links below to upgrade to a modern browser.
It’s widely accepted in the industry that the arrival of plain packaging and EUTPD II will lead some retailers to stop selling tobacco and far more to delist all but the bestsellers.
Retailers who maintain their ranges, therefore, can become the destination for fiercely loyal customers who will travel to get their favourite product.
Jeremy Blackburn, head of communications, JTI
Retailers should maintain a good selection of brands across all price segments, including premium. Tobacco shoppers can be worth £2,000 a year and our research shows shoppers buy elsewhere if their brand is unavailable. Maintaining availability at all times is therefore vital to ensure that retailers become a destination store of choice for smokers.
Nainesh Shah, Mayhew News, Belgravia
Customers are already travelling from Kent and Surrey for premium brands like Vogue Slims, San Morris and Omé. Stores are already delisting products – our cigar sales went back up after Waitrose cut their range. We now have one customer who comes in for 100 £5 cigars every week.
Ahead of the end of the 12-month sell-through period in May, here’s a reminder of the changes coming to the tobacco market:
Cigarettes: 10-packs will no longer be available, alongside 17, 18 and 19-packs. No branding will be permitted on the remaining 20-pack formats.
Rolling tobacco: As with cigarettes, no branding will be allowed. The minimum pouch size will be 30g, meaning an end to 8g packs and the best-selling 12.5g format.
Cigars/cigarillos: Though not subject to minimum size restrictions as with cigarettes, 65% of the front must also carry a warning. The remaining 35% can be used for branding.
Become a Member to comment
Register to comment and get exclusive content and subscribe to the online and print versions of Retail News.