Several newsagent businesses in Australia have been hit by ransomware in the last week.
The cyberattacks involve malware software being covertly and remotely installed onto a computer, preventing future access to the system until a ransom is paid.
Without appropriate precautions, the operational and financial implications of recovery for a business can be considerable. To protect your business, ensure you increase your cyber security by following these five top tips:
- Make sure you have regular, reliable off-site backups in a secure firewall-protected location for easy recovery.
- Do not click on any link or open any attachments in an email you do not trust or were not expecting.
- Never click on a link in an email relating to a prize offer.
- Don’t click on a link in an email purporting to be from a bank or the tax office.
- Read emails before clicking on anything. If you are unsure, do not click.
It is vital you protect your business by managing emails in a thoughtful way.
One business last week was shut down for more than a day because of poor protection. Once they got back up and running they had lost days of data because of inadequate backups. Trying to sell a business with such a data hole could be expensive, so it's important to implement preventative measures.
This article doesn't have any comments yet, be the first!