Do we buy from people or a business?
As business owners, we most probably get bogged down with the daily grind of running a business, but a key aspect of that is your staff.
Their wellbeing, and most importantly how to motivate them to achieve their best, is just as important.
The experience consumers get is reflected by the people who work in the business and having motivated and energetic staff will go a long way in driving your business forward.
Here are my top tips to help motivate staff:
- Praise your staff regularly. For example, ask them how they came to the decision to merchandise a particular product in a certain way.
- Make your ideas theirs. Don’t tell them what to do, bring them on the journey with you. Ask them their opinion and make them feel valued. “I want you to do this” can be more effective as “Do you think this looks okay?” or “Can you help me with this?”
Being a dictator is simpler but having engaged employees will help deliver a great and unrivalled level of service
- Allow your staff to take ownership. Tell them you trust them and to treat your money like it’s their own. When setting up promotions I also ask for input as to what items to promote. This gives them a say. Highlight their strengths and tell them that you would like to use them as an example to the rest of the team.
- Set your standards. When things are done well, share these with the rest of the team. Celebrate success and be thankful for their hard work. Share your vision and tell your team what they mean to you. Share the downsides too, if things don’t go to plan let them know.
- Trust and communication. This is most probably the most important tip. Building relationships with employees is vital. If you are open and honest with them then that same level of transparency will come back to you. Being a dictator is simpler but having engaged employees will help deliver a great and unrivalled level of service. A happy and engaged employee will lead to a satisfied customer.
This article doesn't have any comments yet, be the first!