Running a sustainable business is an important part of retailing. Many customers are choosing stores they know are actively doing their best to reduce their impact on the environment.
Start by thinking how you can reduce waste. Implement a price-reduction process for products near their sell-by date instead of throwing them out. Research nearby food banks about donating these products. Use fruit and veg in your food-to-go area to create a new option, such as soup.
Encourage your shoppers to recycle and become a hub for driving sustainable initiatives. Offer to recycle their cardboard, batteries and clothing. Urge shoppers to bring their own bags and remove single-use plastic bags in store. Talk to them about what environmentally friendly solutions they’d like to see and take steps to reflect this.
Secrets of success
The IAA selects a Category Star each year that is showing the best thinking, processes and results. Find out what made those that were previously recognised by the IAA stand out to the judges, and what you can apply in your own store by taking a look at the previous Category Stars.
Top ideas to improve
Each year the IAA visits and mentors’ retailers that have previously taken part in the programme to help them make simple but impactful changes to improve their profits. Find out what they learned, the results they’ve seen, and what you can replicate in your store!
- 2021-22 – Whissendine Village Shop & Post Office, Oakham
- 2020-21 – Bradley’s Supermarkets, Loughborough
Take part in the IAA
Take part in the IAA today by completing our online checklist and you can:
- See how your store compares to others and find ways to improve
- Be in with a chance of making the Top 100 and being recognised for your efforts
- Gain access to free marketing tools to help attract more customers to your store
- Invitation to the IAA Learning & Development Festival – to help you take your store to the next level
- Be in with a chance of being selected to be mentored by the IAA in 2023
Supported by the industry to help you
The IAA is supported and funded by industry brands who recognise that retailers want access to free, unbiased support to help them increase profits and improve their stores without big investment.
This article doesn't have any comments yet, be the first!