campaign

Make your voice heard

I know it’s Christmas but with a General Election looming in May 2015, have you worked out what you are going to campaign on? Could it be campaigning on something to help your business in...
better retailing live

Are you being generous enough with your community?

More than 90 of the UK’s top independent retailers took part in the Local Shop Summit in Manchester earlier this month. This is the fourth year that we have run this event and we...
spreading word

IAA finalists spreading word of their success

Winning or being nominated for awards for your shop can bring many benefits. The publicity surrounding such events can help to raise the profile of your store and in turn bring in more customers...
Janine watts

Our shop is like a home

Last year Retail Express profiled Janine Watts at her Wealden Stores in West Sussex. Catching up with her a year later, she discusses how she is enlisting the local community to help fight a new...
road works

What to do when roadworks are damaging trade

A retailer has written in asking what he can do about the serious problems long term roadworks are having on his business. This is a problem that has affected many store owners across the country for...
energy

Change is coming: Energy

The last serious energy crisis that the UK suffered was in 1973 with a huge hike in the cost of oil, driven by OPEC, immediately followed by the 3 Day Week. I recall that the...
population

Change is coming: Population

I went to secondary school in Slough in the sixties and was introduced to a wide variety of cultures that then made up the population of the town. My memory is that there was only...
sainsburys

‘If a supermarket is right for my community, it’s right for me’

Stories of communities challenging the latest development from one of the big four supermarkets are a depressingly regular occurrence.  So when the owner of a Budgens store in Somerset decides not to challenge plans for...
customer

Listen to your customers outside your business

While we get plenty of advice from people inside our retail business, how much advice and feedback do we get from the community outside? By connecting with local clubs and community groups and using local...
local produce

The value of stocking local produce

People love local produce and are prepared to pay a premium for them. Stocking the produce of your area or region is a marvellous way of defining your stores uniqueness and attachment to your...