The deadline of the Government’s plain packaging consultation is now just a few days away on the 10th August.
If you have not already done so, I would urge you to respond and ensure that the concerns of the retail trade are heard loud and clear.
There are 3 ways to respond to the consultation:
- Complete the official response form on the Department of Health website
- Email your views to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post your views to:
It does not have to be a long message, simply explain how plain packaging would affect your business.
Remember to think about:
- The impact on your profitability
- The difficulties the move could cause in-store
- Will the plans make any difference to the youth smoking problem?
Here are the reasons why award-winning retailer Kishor Patel is opposed to the proposed plans on the plain packaging on tobacco:
- It will create confusion
- It will increase crime, including counterfeiting, smuggling and duty evasion
- It will take away consumers’ freedom of choice
- Big brands contribute millions to the local and global economies
- Smokers will not be deterred from looking for their brand elsewhere
- The Government needs to do substantially more in early education to teach young people about the health impacts of smoking
- Plain packaging will slow service at tills
- Ordering, stock replenishment and stocktaking will take significantly longer.
Once the consultation is closed, the Government is expected to make a decision within 3 – 6 months. In the meantime you can step up the pressure by contacting your local MP. You can find out who your local MP is here.